Mayor      
History of North, SC

      The Town of North was founded ~ as many small towns in South Carolina ~ as a result of the railroad. John F. North, George W. Pou, and Sampson A. Livingston donated 100 acres to create a rail depot and town on the South Bound Railroad Company's new rail line. Mr. North was influential in bringing the railroad to the area, so the town is named after him ~ North, South Carolina.

      Rail lines brought not only new citizens to North but also telegraph lines and the lucrative cotton industry. Passenger trains ran through North on their way to Columbia, Savannah, Miami, and even New York City. Two regular trains came through North every day, carrying in freight and goods and carrying out cotton and other products.

      King Cotton was easily grown in the fertile soil around North. Until 1946, North was one of the best cotton markets in the area.  Several gins outside town baled the cotton and large mills bid for the precious product  at the Town's cotton platform.

1891
South Bound Railroad Company made its first trip from Columbia, SC to Savannah, GA
The first business opened on the site that would become North, South Carolina

 


1893

John North elected mayor of the town that took his name
The new railroad town had already grown to 300-400 people, 16 stores, and 50-75 houses
The North Journal began publication
Both the First Baptist Church of North and the First Methodist Church were founded
Dr. Ott established the first dentist office

1904
The Bank of North was established

1908
The first electric lights were installed
The Bell Telephone Company installed the first telephone system

 

1910
North High School held its first graduation



1943
The first three runways were constructed at the North Auxiliary Air Field

1965
Town Hall and the Fire Station built


2002
The North Volunteer FD contracted to operate a
county fire station located at 2478 Catalina Blvd

2004
Town Hall renovated

 

 

1892
The Town of North was born from the generosity of several landowners ~ particularly that of John F. North
A U.S. Post Office was established
Dr. Williams set up the first medial practice

 

 

 

1901
Thomas Crumel founded the first funeral home

1905
North's first Depot and Cotton Platform

1909
A grammar school and high school were built on land donated by Sampson A. Livingston, one of the Town's original benefactors


1933
The town began providing sewer service to its citizens


1954
African-American students were able to attend a full twelve years of school

1992
Town celebrated its Centennial



2003
North FD Headquarters built at 719 Stafford Avenue
Dedicated as the John I. Salley Station in honor of

a long-serving member of the Fire Department


Contact us at email or
North Town Hall

PO Box 399
9305 North Road
North, South Carolina 29112-0399
Phone: 803.247.2101 Fax: 803.247.3045



All content © Copyright 2004-2012 Town of North. All Rights Reserved.